Contraceptive Training Specialist
The Beyond the Pill Program at the UCSF Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health has an opening for a Contraceptive Training Specialist to lead trainings for health care providers and to plan and implement health education and training activities. This position is part of Beyond the Pill’s training team and contributes to its national program to promote contraceptive access and reproductive autonomy.
Beyond the Pill’s national training program seeks to increase the competency of health care providers to offer the full range of contraceptive methods, including the IUD and implant, and to give individuals the information they need to make more informed choices about contraception. The program is committed to promoting patient autonomy through non-directive, patient-centered counseling and integrates key principles of reproductive justice. Trainings are conducted throughout the U.S. for under-resourced health centers, including community clinics (primary care and family planning), departments of health, public hospitals, teen clinics, school-based health centers and colleges, and include general information suitable for all audiences, as well as separate practicums focused on counseling and clinical skills.
- Lead trainings, in-person and virtually, on contraceptive care, patient education and counseling skills, implicit bias, reproductive autonomy, and health equity
- Build relationships and collaborations with national and community-based organizations
- Plan and implement trainings and health education activities
- Conduct clinic assessments and adapt training curriculum for different audiences
- Provide technical assistance to clinics
- Contribute to curriculum updates and development of new training modules and health materials
- Provide research and programmatic support.
- Bachelor's degree in any area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Engaging speaker and dynamic group facilitator able to establish and maintain rapport with small and large groups
- 1 - 2 years of experience in the reproductive health and/or social justice fields in training, service provision, research and/or administration
- Working knowledge of contraceptive methods, contraceptive education, counseling trends
- Working knowledge of training methods and techniques, experience in facilitation or teaching adult learners
- Demonstrated knowledge of and passion for reproductive justice and health equity
- Ability to engage and build relationships with people from diverse communities
- Ability to conduct need assessments and develop training curriculum and materials
- Highly organized and exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team, and to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to prioritize tasks
- Ability to travel regularly throughout the U.S. and U.S. territories for trainings, conferences, and meetings up to 70% effort
- U.S. driver’s license
- Master’s degree in public health, social work, gender studies, counseling or related field
- Continuing education in related field
- Certified Health Education Specialist
- At least 1 year of experience providing direct service in a reproductive health setting
- 3 years of experience in the reproductive health and/or social justice fields in training, service provision, research and/or administration
Interested candidates should apply directly to the job posting found here: UCSF job posting (Req #62054)
In your cover letter, please include a brief paragraph reflecting your “Contributions to Diversity Statement,” describing
- Your awareness and any experience or background that has made you aware of inequities and challenges faced by people of color, economically disadvantaged groups, or other marginalized communities.
- Your commitment to socioeconomic and racial/ethnic justice, professionally and/or personally.
See https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement for guidance, although please limit your statement to one paragraph.
More information about Beyond the Pill can be found here: http://beyondthepill.ucsf.edu/
Screening of applications will continue until position is filled.