Improving Women's Access to IUDs & Implants
Beyond the Pill is working to transform contraceptive care by bringing our evidence-based training on IUDs and implants to health care providers and educators throughout the US. These trainings focus on best practices and help women access more effective birth control, while respecting their autonomy in reproductive health decisions.
Key features of on-site training
- CME-accredited – clinicians can earn up to 7.5 credit hours toward CME and CE requirements.
- All staff approach – trainings have the greatest impact when all staff participate (clinicians, educators, managers, front desk, billing, outreach staff, etc.).
- Customized to the needs of each group.
- Training costs subsidized or waived for eligible organizations.
- Evaluation to measure training quality and impact.
- Trainings designed for single clinics, groups of clinics, or regional networks of providers and referral agencies.
Curriculum for on-site training
The core curriculum of our on-site training includes a general session for all staff, followed by separate practica for health educators and clinicians.
~ All staff session
- Updated information on IUDs and implants, including the latest science and professional recommendations.
- Brainstorming of barriers to provision and strategies to streamline access.
~ Health Educator practicum
- Education and counseling techniques, with a focus on patient-centered counseling and educating women on method effectiveness.
- A counseling skills and role playing session for health educators allows time to refine counseling approaches and practice delivering patient education points specific to IUDs and implants
- Designed for health educators, counselors, clinicians, social workers and administrative staff.
~ Clinician practicum
- Hands-on insertion technique practicum allows participants to gain or refine their skills placing different IUD models.
- Designed for clinicians (MD, DO, NP, PA, CNM)
This course is accredited by the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine Office of Continuing Medical Education.