Virtual Clinical IUD Practicum
Beyond the Pill’s (free, CME-accredited) virtual Clinical IUD Practicum includes didactic learning and hands-on training with all FDA-approved IUD placement models, and advanced tips and case reviews for those already comfortable with the placement and removal process.
Part 1 - Didactic Learning (45 minutes)
- Participants will review a recorded session on their own time, prior to their scheduled hands-on practice.
- Topics include: identifying absolute contraindications to IUD initiation, pain management and patient follow-up, and proctoring considerations.
Part 2 - Hands-On Training (90 minutes)
- Participants will gain hands-on practice with all FDA-approved IUD placement models, with individualized support from an expert trainer (via Zoom).
- Sessions include only 1-2 learners at a time and are personalized to their skill level.
- Prior to this session, participants will receive a practicum kit (including pelvic model, IUD kits, instruments, and pre-paid return shipping label).
Key features of Virtual Clinical IUD Practicum
- Free for eligible participants
- CME/CE-accredited for a maximum of 2.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- Interactive and personalized
- Convenient and accessible
In order to maximize our impact on contraceptive access, we prioritize learners who have the capacity to put these skills into practice and those working in publicly-funded clinics. Participants must:
- Be a licensed clinician
- Live and work in the United States
I'm interested! Now what?
- Check your eligibility via this short survey
- If you are eligible, you will be directed to a booking page where you can schedule the live (via Zoom), hands-on portion of the practicum from the dates available. You will receive a confirmation email once you book your session which includes your Zoom link, as well as links to the recorded didactic session, instructions on how to set up your equipment for the hands-on session, and some optional videos. Please do not forward this email to anyone as it is individualized to you. If a colleague is interested in participating in a virtual IUD practicum, please direct them to check their eligibility.
- Prior to your practicum
- View the 45-minute recorded didactic portion.
- Receive a practicum learning kit to the mailing address indicated on your registration. This kit includes a pelvic model, Bayer, ParaGard, and Liletta IUD demo kits, instruments, a tripod, and a pre-paid return shipping label. Please dedicate 10 minutes ahead of your scheduled hands-on training to unbox the practicum materials and ensure your equipment is set up.
- Complete a short pre-survey.
- On the day of your hands-on practicum
- Join the Zoom meeting 5-10 minutes in advance of the scheduled time to ensure proper equipment set-up.
- After your practicum
- Complete two short surveys to provide feedback and help us measure the impact of our trainings.
- CME credits will be assigned within one week of your session.
- Return the practicum kit within two weeks of your session so that other learners can participate in the practicum. Please use the pre-paid shipping label that was included in the box. You are welcome to keep the Bayer, Liletta, and ParaGard IUD kits and please return all other materials.
The University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine (UCSF) is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.